Sunday, 17 January 2016

A word from Sandra M Pape

A word from Sandra M Pape

BEAR HUGS ORIGINALS

Bearcrafter since the late 1990's

USA

Sandra M. Pape

Greetings my Bear Friends~

My name is Sandra Marie and I am the artist/bear maker behind Bear Hugs Originals.  I have been creating/designing teddies and their little friends since the late 1990's.  My first little teddy was created when I was just a wee little girl and I still proudly hang him from our Christmas tree each and every year.


The bears I create are made of the finest quality mohair, alpaca and luxury faux fur available.  Each Bear Hugs Original is handmade and 100% hand sewn without the use of a sewing machine.  All of my patterns are designed from my own sketches and each bear is an authentic, one-of-a-kind collectible artist bear.


 I live in Southwest, Florida with my husband and two children.  While I have a dedicated sewing room, I much prefer to be with my family as much as possible.  So I load a little wicker basket with all the materials that I need to keep me sewing and just carry my work around with me.


I had always wanted to create my own teddy bears and I finally took the plunge back in 1996 when I purchased my very first piece of mohair.  I sketched out my own pattern and the rest was history...I was totally addicted to creating teddies that is until 2001, when I had an accident that stopped me in my tracks.  Unfortunately it did take me out of bear making for many years.  But, I am back and trying to make the best of it.


My favorite part of bear making is creating their heads.  I love working on their heads because they start to become animated and start speaking to me as I shape and sculpt their features.  It's very comforting for me and I put a lot of my own heart and soul into each of my creations.


I am extremely honored to have won a 2013 "Excellence in Bear Artistry Award" for "Oliver".  Then in 2015 I won a "Fourth Place URSA Award" for "Flopsy" and a 2015 "Excellence in Bear Artistry Award" for "Frankenteddy".  I was also featured in the April 2015 issue of Bears & Buds Online Magazine and featured in the Teddy Bear & Friends Marketplace for "Rory the Raccoon" and "Wags the Dog".

I am very pleased to be a member of the Guild of Master Bear Crafters.  The Guild Blog is a beautiful webpage where you can see the most up-to-date creations of professional bear artists, while gaining valuable insight and inspiration.


Warm regards,
Sandra Marie

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Sandra - such a lovely piece. Happy bearing, hugs, Elizabeth xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting The Guild of Master Bearcrafters' blog.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...